I'm really pleased with this and will definitely be making more!
It eats very nicely hot - possibly with a swirl of cream and some snipped chives - or cubes of blue cheese!!! But I think it will also be lovely well chilled and topped with a dollop of creme fraiche and some shredded basil -perfect for this weather!
- Melt the butter in a big pot (eg maslin /preservingpan) and add the olive oil.
- Add the onion, and garlic and sweat very gently so that the garlic does not burn.
- When the onion is softened add the diced potato, stock and stir. Bring to the boil.
- Allow to simmer for ten to fifteen minutes until potato is beginning to soften.
- Add the pea pods and starchy peas. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
- Return to a simmer and cook until pods and peas are well cooked and potato is breaking up. About twenty minutes (the pea pods will have gone a REALLY unpleasant colour, but don't worry -it's about to get SO much better!)
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the washed and drained spinach.
DO NOT RETURN THE PAN TO THE HEAT.
- Allow the spinach to just wilt in the hot soup. (1 minute)
- Blitz everything in a liquidizer - in batches. The spinach REALLY improves the colour.
- Push the pureed soup through a fine sieve using the back of a ladle to press out as much as possible.
- Check seasoning.
If reheating, do so gently so as not to destroy the lovely emerald green colour.