Submitted by Aimee on

Hayle Allotment Society

Meeting Minutes 19th January 2012

Time: 19:30

Venue:  Copperhouse Pub

Present:  Aimee, Denzil S, Hilary S, Hilary, Carole M, Bob, Sue, Nigel, Carol, Russell, Howard, Simon A, Brian, Wendy T, Colin T, Melvyn, Wendy C, Joanna, Tina, Jane, Andrew, Mike, Colin, Dick (= 24)

Apologies:  Alan

Financial:  tba


New matters arising: tenancy relationship with Council

Establish Society reaction to recent communication by Council re tenancies:

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">1.    #222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;"> having to refence a lot of plots to release land for paths which the Council didn't make clear or enforce last year because of poor plannning of the site

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;"> 

Members feel this has been poorly handled over the last year. Results  of consultation with the Society have been ignored and the Council’s approach in sending out recent letters is very formal and “dictatorial” whilst also lumping together many different issues.

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">Grass paths – #222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">Still disquiet about having to refence all grass paths and being unable to share access using a gate. Allotmenters feel that there is no consideration taken of individual circumstances and common sense. The idea of an unlocked gate being an “obstruction” to the paths as the contract is interpreted by the Council seems illogical when actually clause 4 tells tenants not to “place any waste vegetable or other refuse or debris on any path or roadway or obstruct any roadway set out by the Council for the use of other tenants” – this is not clearly applicable to unlocked gates.

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">21 votes in favour of not being allowed to be remove or move the grass paths

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">21 votes in favour of the need to keep grass paths accessible but this could be via an unlocked gate

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">21 votes in favour of the Council considering plots 22 and 29 as special cases because they are narrower than other plots

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;"> 

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">Southern and Western Boundaries#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;"> - Serious confusion has arisen about the need to refence around these areas. The Council has said in the recent letter to tenants that the boundaries will be enforced, and this week Aimee and Andrew had this confirmed by Elly the Town Clerk. However, Dick, Council Liaison Officer, said that on Thursday 19th he spoke to Elly and she said the Southern Boundary would not be enforced. Agreed to contact the Council regarding this.

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;"> 

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">Disquiet about the Southern Boundary pathway being enforced: several tenants last year asked permission verbally of the Town Clerk to fence to the boundary and were told yes. Concern about how the area will be maintained – there is no grass there to mow so it will just fill with weeds and therefore be inaccessible.

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;"> 

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">Disquiet about the Western Boundary pathway being enforced: What is the access for? It does not seem logical that access to the hedge would be needed at all time. Same concern about how the area will be maintained – no grass so it will just become overgrown. Concern that there are different rules being applied for different tenants anyway depending on shed placement.

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;"> 

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">2.    #222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">the possibility of new rules being imposed about shed sites and colours, after most plotholders have already erected them  -

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;"> 

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">21 votes in favour / 2 against of any colour being acceptable for sheds.

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">22 votes / none against in favour of sheds being sited wherever the plotholder wants.

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;"> 

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">General agreement that it would be good practice to discuss siting with neighbours but this can’t be compulsory because it might be too difficult to reach agreement. General feeling that the Council should not be concerned with this issue beyond granting basic permission for a suitably sized shed or greenhouse to be erected. Concern that the Council seem to be retrospectively considering new rules.#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;"> 

#222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">3.    #222222; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">the Council unilaterally deciding that every plotholder should join the Society and that it should act as a consultative body to the Council, which would involve rewriting the Constitution and purpose of the Society (see the website for the Constitution, where open membership and the purpose of the Society as a general gardening group are set out)


Disquiet about variation of contracts imposing compulsory membership and the inconsistent and retroactive implementation of contract changes – for example over bonfires, allowing fencing, the length of plots and now possibly sheds.

#222222;">It was also noted that Council seemed to want to make retrospective rule changes to tenancy agreements whilst they are what we understand to be called conditions subsequent & therefore cannot be enforced unilaterally by one party to a contract.

Discussion about how we don’t want to be affiliated to the Council or political

Do not have the executive powers to act on the Council’s behalf eg: sanctions etc – and if we had to refer problems of non compliance to the Council then it’s just adding a bureaucratic layer

We don’t have the administration systems, time or money to act as consultative body – do not even have the information eg addresses / plotholder names due to Data Protection Act

19 votes in favour of membership of the Society not being compulsory – we are a voluntary society

Council suggests consultative body, but so far has ignored our input eg: over gating in May 2011 and over compulsory membership as discussed last year informally between the Mayor and Chair of the Allotment Society.

19 votes in favour of the Society being consulted by the Council before decisions are made but not formally acting as an agent for the Council


#222222;">The Society noted the positive help and support given to us by Cllr and member Dick Horwell, and appreciated that Council may wish to continue to advise us of their views by any means that they choose. However the Allotment Society determined that it is unfair on Dick to ask him to represent our views to Council as he is an allotment holder and councillor as well and therefore can’t vote on relevant issues.  So we mandated the Chair or her appointed deputy to communicate with Council on behalf of the Society in all and any ways.


Items from last meeting:


1)    Rose and Cabbage - Meeting planned with Rose and Cabbage on 23rd Jan, Joanna and Carole M taking the lead on this, Aimee will attend too.


2)    Communal push mower/strimmer – Aimee and Carole M will look into whether an 18v battery will be up to the job of doing the paths by trying Carole’s personal one out – if it’s effective will consider purchase of an 18V battery if funds allow, would cost around £60. If not, look into grants for petrol strimmer, although we have issues then with safe storage of fuel

3)    Grant applications – Aimee started applying for a lottey grant to obtain a poly tunnel and has subsequently found out that planning permission is probably required so this is on hold for now and because of the need to resolve the relationship with the Council. Aimee to contact Jeremy Content at Planning to investigate, or John Coombs CC. If not, could go back to greenhouse idea?

4)    Combination lock for the main gate from the Council – there are issues about this regarding the Glebe’s conditions for the lease of the land, the Church Warden Andrew will look into it. 

5)    Burial site – Chris Lello kindly rotavated the burial site extension and Simon scattered most of it with wildflower seed 4th December – still need to add some seed but need to establish how much of Cornwall Council grant is still available for seed purchase + see below RHS seeds. Aimee has written to Mr Lello to thank him.

6)    Gates not being closed at night – this seems to have been resolved


1.    Aimee has successfully applied for more wildflower seed from the RHS as part of their Jubilee celebration – this will be received in early April and the conditions of receipt are that they are to be sown on weekend of 14th April as part of the Jubilee. Enough to cover 10m2 so still need to buy some more for the cemetery extension. Also planning a SEED SWAP at the same time, on Saturday 14th April.

DECIDED to open this to all comers as community event and to advertise it.

2.    Hayle in Bloom kindly provided several hundred daffodil bulbs and these were planted by HIB along with members of the Society on 4th December on the wasteland outside the allotment gates. Hopefully will look nice in spring.

3.    Consider putting a larger noticeboard up – could we get permission from Council to use the back of the gate?

4.    Put membership forms on the website + have membership drive – use Hayle Pump